KILBRIDE PUBLIC SCHOOL

Parent Council Minutes of Meeting

March 7, 2018

Present​: Robyn Irving, Mary-Ann Welland, Jen Mifsud, Connie Grinbergs, Michell Ristevski,

Sally Fung, Lou-Ann Trabucco, Karen McLean, Amy Donaldson, Michelle Brans, Priscilla Bajus,

Julie Ion, Tricia Cole, Andrea Sjolander, Leanne Sheehan, Nelly Christansen, Mrs. Ashabo, Mr.

Armiss, Dr. Iannuzzi

Teacher Reports:

Mrs. Ashabo: Firstly, a thanks to parent council for $ 1,386 towards Mind Up curriculum.

Breathing simulation performed by Mrs. Ashabo. All teachers will be doing breathing exercise

with classes each day, with timing at the discretion of teacher.

Mr. Armiss presented Soul Drums. Expression of culture and diversity in the art of drumming. All

grades invited. Music concert at end of day. Requested $ 3 000 from council to fund this. To be

scheduled for May this year if approved. Council voted and unanimously agreed to fund this

request for $3 000.

Principal Report

– Kilbride students put together an 11 minute Be Kind video, which was shown to council. More

work is continuing to be done on this school goal.

– Ski trips went well. Lou-Ann commented on how well behaved the children were.

– Dance Feb. 23rd: well done by volunteers and turn-out was good. This was funded by the Pro

Grant council applied for last year.

– Parents can borrow supplementary curriculum resources in library. eg. Mind Up

– The library is being turned into a Learning Commons to engage students better. e.g., new

white board has been installed; a mounted projector has been donated from another library.

Principal requested $1 300 from council for computer for this room. Council voted and

unanimously agreed to spend $1 300 on this.

– A lengthy discussion ensued regarding the inappropriateness of using Facebook for personal

concerns regarding the school. A reminder will go out that any parent concern, whether bus or

in-school related, should be brought to teacher or the principal and should not be addressed on

social media (eg Facebook)

Chair Report:

– Pro Grant Application - now is the time to decide what events we would like to host next year.

We will seek ideas from the parent body & draft a proposal to seek grant funds. (Chair will file

report by June 28 describing the dances we hosted this year).

– There is a “Super Council Meeting” March 20th for all parent council chairs or Pic Reps in

Halton region. Amy will attend

– Council roles for next year - we have one person interested in being chairperson, another in

treasury. If any other parents are interested in specific council roles, please share with Robyn

– Food on snow days. Council is considering a “no bus, no served lunch” policy. Robyn will

check with the food committee for their feedback.

Community Items:

– Family Games Night will be April 20th. Nelly and Mary-Ann to organize.

– Movie under the Stars will be explored as an option for June, depending on financing and

timing. Michelle Brans to look into this.

– Soccer club: Michell Ristevski organizing with former teacher, Kelly Turner. Sign ups are

taking place now. The program is very low key and fun, but is at risk of not continuing as

signups are low. Volunteers are needed to coach.

– Popcorn purchased from Kernels for recent dance (Michell R). They offer pre-popped with

bogo offer. Consider for future events

– Fun Fair auction items. **More needed.** Please contact Robyn with all items

PIC report:

Amy Donaldson attended last week’s PIC meeting. The Annual conference will be Oct. 13th.

PIC meeting outlined suggestions applying for the PRO grant. Amy & Michelle B will start a list

of ideas

Motion to adjourn by Michelle B., seconded by Mary-Ann Welland. Meeting adjourned 10:55

Minutes written by Mary-Ann Welland

Next meeting April 18th.



KILBRIDE PUBLIC SCHOOL

Parent Council Minutes of Meeting

March 7, 2018

Present​: Robyn Irving, Mary-Ann Welland, Jen Mifsud, Connie Grinbergs, Michell Ristevski,

Sally Fung, Lou-Ann Trabucco, Karen McLean, Amy Donaldson, Michelle Brans, Priscilla Bajus,

Julie Ion, Tricia Cole, Andrea Sjolander, Leanne Sheehan, Nelly Christansen, Mrs. Ashabo, Mr.

Armiss, Dr. Iannuzzi

Teacher Reports:

Mrs. Ashabo: Firstly, a thanks to parent council for $ 1,386 towards Mind Up curriculum.

Breathing simulation performed by Mrs. Ashabo. All teachers will be doing breathing exercise

with classes each day, with timing at the discretion of teacher.

Mr. Armiss presented Soul Drums. Expression of culture and diversity in the art of drumming. All

grades invited. Music concert at end of day. Requested $ 3 000 from council to fund this. To be

scheduled for May this year if approved. Council voted and unanimously agreed to fund this

request for $3 000.

Principal Report

– Kilbride students put together an 11 minute Be Kind video, which was shown to council. More

work is continuing to be done on this school goal.

– Ski trips went well. Lou-Ann commented on how well behaved the children were.

– Dance Feb. 23rd: well done by volunteers and turn-out was good. This was funded by the Pro

Grant council applied for last year.

– Parents can borrow supplementary curriculum resources in library. eg. Mind Up

– The library is being turned into a Learning Commons to engage students better. e.g., new

white board has been installed; a mounted projector has been donated from another library.

Principal requested $1 300 from council for computer for this room. Council voted and

unanimously agreed to spend $1 300 on this.

– A lengthy discussion ensued regarding the inappropriateness of using Facebook for personal

concerns regarding the school. A reminder will go out that any parent concern, whether bus or

in-school related, should be brought to teacher or the principal and should not be addressed on

social media (eg Facebook)

Chair Report:

– Pro Grant Application - now is the time to decide what events we would like to host next year.

We will seek ideas from the parent body & draft a proposal to seek grant funds. (Chair will file

report by June 28 describing the dances we hosted this year).

– There is a “Super Council Meeting” March 20th for all parent council chairs or Pic Reps in

Halton region. Amy will attend

– Council roles for next year - we have one person interested in being chairperson, another in

treasury. If any other parents are interested in specific council roles, please share with Robyn

– Food on snow days. Council is considering a “no bus, no served lunch” policy. Robyn will

check with the food committee for their feedback.

Community Items:

– Family Games Night will be April 20th. Nelly and Mary-Ann to organize.

– Movie under the Stars will be explored as an option for June, depending on financing and

timing. Michelle Brans to look into this.

– Soccer club: Michell Ristevski organizing with former teacher, Kelly Turner. Sign ups are

taking place now. The program is very low key and fun, but is at risk of not continuing as

signups are low. Volunteers are needed to coach.

– Popcorn purchased from Kernels for recent dance (Michell R). They offer pre-popped with

bogo offer. Consider for future events

– Fun Fair auction items. **More needed.** Please contact Robyn with all items

PIC report:

Amy Donaldson attended last week’s PIC meeting. The Annual conference will be Oct. 13th.

PIC meeting outlined suggestions applying for the PRO grant. Amy & Michelle B will start a list

of ideas

Motion to adjourn by Michelle B., seconded by Mary-Ann Welland. Meeting adjourned 10:55

Minutes written by Mary-Ann Welland

Next meeting April 18th.



Parent​ ​Council​ ​Minutes-​ ​October​ ​25​ ​2017

Attendance:​ ​Kathy Mazzei, Julie Ion, Michelle Brans, Robin Neilson, Brooke Malloy, Chris Fry,

Michell Ristevski, Sally Fung, Priscilla Bajus, Tammy Kember, Ashley Llewellyn, Karen McLean,

Marta Felton, Amy Donaldson, Lou-Ann Trabucco, Nikki Ferreira, Mary-Ann Welland, Jeff

Whitaker, Connie Grinbergs, Jen Mifsud, Robyn Irving, Nelly Christensen, Tammy Kember,

Leanne Sheenan, Andrea Sojander, Jennifer Armstrong, Rob Iannuzzi

Principal’s report by Dr Iannuzzi

- The school has adopted three goals: Be Kind, Do Your Job, Make a Difference. All three

will be used as focus for all ongoing activities for Kilbride students - whether in the

classroom, the yard, on the bus, or (hopefully) at home.

- MindUp, Live Different, and MyLife Online are three groups which have already been in

to speak to the children. All relate back to the three goals.

- Discussed Bullying issues: Kilbride students already very good at dealing with conflict,

but are having the above speakers in to help enhance their skills. There is conflict, but

bullying has not been seen to be a real problem. Bullying, by definition, involves a power

imbalance, as well as intent to harm. Dr. Iannuzzi shared a pamphlet he co-authored

about bullying. He reminded parents that social skills are a process and take time to

learn. If any parent feels their child is being bullied, it is essential that the issue must be

brought to staff so that it can be effectively handled. Parents asked if we can look at

possibly using PIC money for an evening workshop helping parents learn these skills for

use at home. Dr. I and council will look into possible workshop leaders.

- The Intermediate (grades 7 & 8) Student Leadership Team is organizing a host of events

to help with Hurricane Relief Efforts, including a chance to “Be a Principal for a Day”.

Some of these children are also the school’s Skatepark Ambassadors and they are

raising funds for Hurricane Relief through a bottle drive.

- Report cards go home November 20. Parent- teacher interviews will happen November

21 - 24.

- EQAO for grades 3 and 6 will be the weeks of May 22 - June 4

- Holiday Concert December 14

- Grade 8s will be attending an overnight ski trip in February and a 2 night trip in June

Voting Members

- Due to the high number of parents interested in being voting members of parent council

but the need for a quorum of voters, all those interested in voting at council meetings

were asked to submit a form with their intentions. Voting members must be present at

80-90% of all meetings and also be willing to volunteer outside of meetings. There were

19 people who submitted forms and all are now voting members of council: Carolyn

Shields, Julie Ion, Jen Mifsud, Mary-Ann Welland, Trica Cole, Sally Fung, Andrea

Sjolander, Priscilla Bajus, Michelle Brans, Michell Risterski, Ashley Llewellyn, Marta

Felton, Lou-Ann Trabucco, Robin Neilson, Niki Ferreira, Robyn Irving, Jeff Whitaker,

Amy Donaldson, Nelly Christensen.

Librarian report by Teacher-Librarian Jennifer Armstrong

- The Library is being transformed into the Learning Commons

- Ms. Armstrong requested funding for the Forest of Reaching program which includes 50

new books recommended by the board ($1500); a complete school coding set including

12 Spheros balls which can be manipulated by tablet or smartphone ($1310). The school

is aiming to get children ready for the greater level of coding used in high schools; An

author visit with Philip Roy ($416.23). Requesting a total of $3226.23.

Treasurer report by Julie Ion, Treasurer.

- Council started with $26 000 this year. Julie moved that we spend more of this money on

our senior and intermediate children this year as it has been earned over the past few

years when these children’s parents were active in fundraising.

Vote on Outstanding & new items

- Council voted in favour of spending the following:

$1386 for the MindUp program

$$800 for the Live Different Program

$1000 for the student led Greening Committee requested at September’s meeting (the

students requested $750, but Julie Ion moved to increase this to $1000. Council voted in

favour)

$3226.23 for the three library programs listed above

Council Matters presented by Robyn Irving, Council Chair

- We received a PRO Grant for Isabel DesRoches to lead a series of evening Parent-child

dance workshops. Dates, times and theme of each event TBA. Email will be send home

with details. Likely to take place on Friday evenings due to scheduling.

- The students will participate in a Hallowe’en parade and assembly lead by the

intermediate Student Leadership Team. Parents’ are welcome. Parents will be given a

“costume” of a Spice to wear so that we will be Kilbride’s Spice Girls and Boys

- Council is hosting an Indigo Fundraiser on Wednesday November 22 6:30 - 8:30 at the

Brant St. Indigo. 15% of all regularly priced items sold to Kilbride guests will be donated

back to the school. If unable to attend that evening, purchases made online at

https://indigofundraising.flipgive.com/f/174072 will also afford the school 15% of proceeds

- Dime Sale - Mary-Ann Welland will lead the Dime Sale again, along with the help of

Marta Felton. Emails will be sent home requesting families donate items to be set up in

the hall. Children will be able to purchase 10 cent tickets and use these to try to win the

items. Dime Sale tickets will be sold the week of December 4 - 8.

- Cake Raffle - Nikki Ferreira will organize a cake raffle for February.

- PIC representative - Amy Donaldson attended the PIC conference in September and

reported back on this. The free conference offers the opportunity to hear a plenary

address, as well as to choose between host of speakers for a total of four workshops

throughout the day. She highly recommends attending for anyone interested next year.

Amy also found out about a potential fundraising opportunity called “Memory Books”.

Council voted to offer these to the school in the new year. Amy and Michelle Brans

volunteered to attend the periodic evening PIC meetings as Kilbride’s representatives

and report back to council.

Next meeting December 6th. Motion to adjourn at 10:45 by Michelle Brans, seconded by

Priscilla Bajus.

In future, Nikki Ferreira will be acting Secretary of Parent Council

Minutes Approved by Robin Neilson & Mary-Ann Welland



Kilbride Public School Parent Council Meeting Minutes

September 20, 2017

Present: Rob Iannuzzi, Sarah Ashabo, Carolyn Shields, Chantel Beadle, Justina

Courtney, Nikki Ferreira, Brie Spiro, Dan Ferguson, Maria Vilma Amarga, Sally

Fung, Laura Andreana, Michell Ristevski, Mary Ann Welland, Tricia Cole, Chris

Fry, Christina Lam, Amy Donaldson, Scott Spiro, Kelly Catherwood, Kathy

Mazzei, Robyn Irving, Charlene LeFave, Julie Ion, Jen Mifsud, Connie Grinbergs,

Lou Ann Trabucco, Karen Maclean, Robin Neilson, Michelle Brans, Ashley

Llewellyn, Crystal Troup, Chad Dawson, Priscilla Bajus, Marta Felton, Andrea

Sjolander, Leanne Sheehan, Nelly Christensen, Robyn Irving

Committee Members: Principal Rob Iannuzzi introduced himself and initiated

voting for the three required council positions of Chair, Treasurer and Secretary.

Robyn Irving acclaimed as Chair.

Julie Ion (shadowed by Nikki Ferreira) acclaimed as Treasurer

Carolyn Shields/Kathy Mazzei acclaimed as Secretary

SERT Report: Sarah Ashabo updated us on the Sensory Room that was created

last year. It is an ongoing project and she thanked Council for their support thus

far.

New proposal is introducing MIND UP Curriculum as part of her wellness

initiative. This program focuses on bringing mindfulness and positive learning

environment to the classroom. It is divided into 3 sections appropriate for

different age groups. Outcomes include improved social behaviour, improved

planning and organizational skills and increased optimism.

We were shown a video of a school who did a pilot project with MIND UP.

**Looking for Parent Council support of $1386 to get this curriculum material into

each classroom.

Voting Members: Robyn explained the role of a voting member. We then

recirculated the attendance book for people to indicate their interest and provide

their email address.

***Addendum: due to the large number of ppl interested in voting, we are going

to have to hold an election. All interested parties will receive a ballot via email

and must submit this for election. This is because the school has informed us we

must have a quorum for voting and therefore do have only a limited number of

voters allowed. With apologies for the confusion.

Principal’s Report: September focus: Creating a safe and inclusive community

along with getting to know learners, and getting to know staff.

A new class was allocated to the school which was a positive change. It did

impact some students, but resulted in smaller class sizes all around. It eliminated

a cross divisional split which is a good outcome.

Staffing update: Ms. Johal has been hired as an additional .33 core French who

will also support Primary readers.

Mr. Armiss will be intermediate instrumental music teacher and

he also has a Grade 4/5 split class.

Confirmed there will be a school band under either Mr. Watkins or Mr. Armiss.

School vision and school goals: Directions team has been established with 7

staff members. Goals are: Be kind, do your job and make a difference. Students,

staff and parents will have input into this collective matrix of what this will look like

at Kilbride. What do these things mean to you? There will be opportunity to have

input at the Meet the Teacher night.

In school program: Live Different has already been in the school focussed on

grade 6-8. Students have provided positive feedback.

Extracurriculars: Senior boys, senior girls volleyball, co-ed flag football, cross-

country training have all started. It was confirmed that there will be a girls team

as there was concern about securing a coach.

My Life On-Line: This presentation is coming to the school this Friday

September 22nd. Helping students navigate their on-line presence. Grades 4-8

are included. Rob mentioned that parents are always welcome to attend any of

these sessions.

Terry Fox Run: September 28 @ 2:15. Wear red and white. Parent volunteers

are urgently needed. Contact Mme. Bennink if you can help. Be sure to have

Police check and annual declaration completed. benninkj@hdsb.ca

Meet the Teacher Night: Wednesday October 11th from 6-7:30

There will be a Grade 8 parents’ meeting at 7:30-8:30 in the gym regarding

trips that will be happening this school year.

Camp Muskoka Trip Meeting: This is for Grade 8 parents and will take place

from 7:30-8:30 in the gym after the “Meet the Teachers” evening.

The trip is planned for June 4th -June 6th.

Healthy Snack Program: Will continue to be supported by Parent Council.

******Rob will send his Principal’s Report to the entire school community via

Synervoice.

Greening Report: Three grade 8 students reported on their project to institute a

composting program and a rooftop greenhouse at the school. This will start in

October. Proposed budget is $730.

Treasurer’s Report: Julie provided a detailed report outlining how

expenditures are determined and reviewing last years finances. We are starting

this year with approximately $24,000 in the bank. The financial report is always

available to anyone who wishes to see it.

We also discussed the idea of the profit margin on some food items and if

perhaps this could be looked at to balance profit with affordability.

Fundraising:

Food Committee will be chaired by Robin Neilson. Plans similar to last year-Sub/

pitas, Kidssentials, and Pizza with one possible additional offering yet to be

determined.

Indigo fundraiser evening will be November 22. It is also on-going online.

Cake Raffle/Dime Sale will be discussed in future.

Fun Fair will be May 31 headed up by Priscilla Bajus, Michelle Brans and Tammy

Kember.

Silent Auction will be headed up by Robyn Irving and Andrea Sjolander..

Donation solicitation begins in January.

PIC: (Parent Involvement Committee) One day workshop October 14th. This is a

free one day conference.

Morning Tea: October 4th 9:15-10:15 in the Library

Halloween Dance: October 27th for grades 5-8

Skipping Team: tryouts starting late October grades 4-8

Community: Love My Hood event at Lowville Church this Sunday Sept 24

from10-3. This event still needs volunteers.

Motion to adjourn raised by Michell Ristevski and seconded by Nikki Ferreira.